The Dimple Piercing is among the most talked about body modification, not just because it’s a new method but because of how it accentuates a feature beautifully. Many have tried the method and to provide you accurate information about it, let us discuss all areas connected to dimple piercing and help you come up with the right decision and information regarding the dimple piercing.
Dimple Piercing is also referred to as cheek piercing. If a cheek piercing has been done appropriately by a reputable person who has adequate experience, it can actually create an illusion that a person has dimples. However, it is not an assurance as it also varies depending on the skin reaction and face.
Dimple Piercing Procedure
The dimple piercing may be painful, depending on the person’s pain tolerance. Usually, a piercer does not use any topical anesthesia. However, if you have a very low pain tolerance, you can ask to have it applied, of course with additional charge, to alleviate the pain. There are over-the-counter anesthetic creams that should be applied to your cheek area at least 20 minutes before the procedure.
You will be asked to brush your teeth and to gargle mouthwash or saline solution to ensure that your mouth is well-cleaned and doesn’t get infected. Your face, particularly the area of perforation should also be washed using an antiseptic soap. A thorough cleaning should never be skipped as bacteria can cause severe infection that may aggravate the condition of the perforated area.
Tools that will be used during the dimple piercing procedure should be cleaned and sterilized to make sure that these do not house any life-threatening microorganisms. Always make sure that your chosen piercer is very precise with the proper handling of his tools.
A surgical thong will be used to move your cheeks so as to have an ample space to get through the insides. It will also support your cheeks to ensure that the needle will not slide off during the dimple piercing. A new needle must be used to penetrate the muscle and tissue on your cheeks. The piercer should do the procedure carefully to ensure that your salivary glands, especially the parotids, will not be punctured as it will be damaged, halting the production of saliva.
Ideally, a labret or a barbell stud that is big enough should be used. Blood will be taken off using cotton soaked in saline solution.
21 Unique Dimple Piercing Inspirations
To entice your interest, we have consolidated photos of dimple piercing from Pinterest so as to help you decide what type of jewelry you want to use.
….and here’s something draconian!
Joel Miggler, 23 years old, has taken dimple piercing to another level and that is by literally creating holes on both sides of his cheeks!
Dimple Piercing Costs
There isn’t an average price for a dimple piercing, all stores have a different range in prices and it can also depend on the area you live in. An average would be around $50 in the United States with high-quality jewelry and then of course factor in a tip of about 10-15%. In Europe, you will pay on average around €40. Find a reputable piercer in your area, call them and ask for the prices of a dimple piercing.
Choosing the Right Dimple Piercing Jewelry
Dimple jewelry is being provided by the piercer and is usually included in the package. However, there are several shops that offer wonderfully designed jewelry to completely accentuate your dimples.
The chosen dimple jewelry should be at least 16mm to 18mm long. In some cases, the perforated area swells, not just because of an infection but as a reaction of the muscles and tissues underneath. If this happens, a small stud will not be enough to move around, affecting the healing process. Big studs will give ample spaces so that it can move easily in spite of the inflammation. When the pierced area is completely healed, you can now replace the jewelry with something more stylish. Just make sure that you do not do remove your dimple piercing alone, as the skin inside your mouth heals fast and it may close in just a few hours after removing it when not placing the jewelry right away.
Finding the Right Dimple Piercer
Finding the right piercer who has adequate skills and knowledge should be on top of your priorities once you have decided to have dimple piercing. In order for you to assess who should be trusted, you have to do some rigid research. You can ask someone who has gone through the procedure or check reviews on the internet. We always recommend verifying if the piercer is a member of the Association of Professional Piercers. You can locate any member of the APP here. Visiting several piercers can also help you in coming up with the right decision. You can ask them how they do it and assess whether their tools are properly cleaned and sterilized. It is your right to know how they handle the entire procedure and seek answers for safety precautions. Take note that if the tools are not well-taken care of, you and the piercer can get life-threatening diseases and infections.
Common Problems Related to Dimple Piercing
Several problems that should not be taken for granted may arise if improper dimple piercing has been done. Here are some common problems that a person may have to face if he has not consulted a skilled and knowledgeable piercer:
- Excruciating pain. Dimple piercing could possibly be painful especially if done carelessly. Please take note that there are local anesthetics with antibacterial ingredients that can ease the pain during the procedure. Our face has several nerves and muscles that are very painful to penetrate; therefore, such products should be used at least 20 minutes before the procedure so as to numb the area thoroughly.
- Damaged parotid glands. These are two important glands found inside the mouth, on the cheek area. If these are damaged due to improper dimple piercing, a person’s saliva secretion will be seriously affected, either by excessive or halted production. Both negative impacts can cause an infection that should be escalated to a doctor.
- All types of piercings leave scars. Once a person has decided that he doesn’t want her piercing anymore, no matter what his reasons are, he or she should be prepared to face such unpleasant issue. The severity of the scar actually depends on the person’s skin reaction. It looks worst if the person is a keloid former. As per professional surgeons, there are no proven products that have the capabilities of improving these scars no matter how long these are applied. Surgery may be a good option to improve the appearance, but it will not completely diminish the scars. Also, please take note that if you will opt for a surgery, a “new scar” will only cover the dimple piercing scar, creating an acceptable appearance compared to how it used to.
- You have to understand that your newly pierced dimples should be thoroughly cleaned to prevent any infection. One example is Sialadenitis. A condition wherein a lump grows in the cheek area, usually on or near the piercing, leading to strong or foul-smelling pus accompanied by fever and pain.
- When your body thinks that there is a “foreign object” that can affect your wellness, or if the chosen jewelry is incompatible with you, it goes through rejection. In dimple piercing, your body will reject the jewelry by pushing it off your skin. This leads to scarring.
- Some people have the habit of fiddling and playing with their jewelry using their tongue and teeth. Because of that, migration occurs wherein the jewelry’s initial position is shifted to another area. Usually, it is not accompanied by pain, discomfort and inflammation.
If you experience any of these, it is best to visit your piercer once again and have it checked. However, if it is an infection, you should also pay a visit to the doctor so as to ensure that you will receive the right medication for fast and proper recuperation.
Dimple Piercing Aftercare
Dimple piercing heals for several months, usually, the dimple piercing healing time is 2 to 8 months, depending on how much you follow the appropriate precautionary measures that are needed to heal the perforated area. Below are some aftercare tips that should be taken seriously so as to alleviate the pain and to hasten the healing process.
- Choose the right jewelry. As mentioned earlier, there should be an ample space around as short jewelry can affect the wound and might go into the inner cheek area as it heals. It can also lead to migration and rejection. You can always change it afterward once the wound has completely healed.
- Always follow proper oral hygiene to prevent any gum and cheek infection. Brush your teeth at least 3 times a day as bacteria buildup can cause serious infection. When the wound is still fresh, make sure that you do it carefully; making sure that your brush does not hit the jewelry or the perforated area.
- Change the jewelry if it’s too big as continuous bumping on the teeth can crack them.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of salt to a half glass of water. Soak cotton on and dab it on the pierced area for at least 5 minutes. Do it at least twice a day while it’s healing. This is a very effective disinfectant to ensure that the bacteria are eliminated, thus, an infection will not occur.
- Use a mild antibacterial soap on your face, especially on the dimple piercing.
- Avoid tugging and fiddling your jewelry.
- Avoid smoking.
- Avoid eating spicy or hot food as it can cause irritation.
We generally recommend these two products that will have you covered in 99.99% of the cases if you follow the instructions properly.
Dr. Piercing’s Aftercare swabs are developed exclusively for the care and cleaning of piercings and help prevent infection. These swabs are conveniently packaged using advanced technology for easy, sanitary application. These piercing aftercare swabs are most commonly used 2/day for the first week and 1/day for the next 3 weeks. This completes the pack in 4 weeks and after this point, good routine hygiene with liquid soap (anti-bacterial if preferred) and water should continue the healing process.
This Piercing Aftercare Spray is enriched with over 60 trace elements and minerals from the richest coral reefs of the ocean along with natural antibacterial enzymes which kill bacteria & help protect healthy living cells. Natural Healing & Cleansing Solution H2Ocean safely removes dried discharge and lymph secretion when used every 2-3 hours.
H2Ocean increases circulation to the body or mouth piercing and accelerates the healing process. It will also help reduce lumps and scars. This formula remains sterile in the state of the art can. H2Ocean non-aerosol dry mist sprayer is ozone friendly and the can itself is recyclable. It is absolutely vital when taking care of a piercing to make sure that bacteria isn’t introduced to the affected area, and the only way to do this is by using a sterile formula like this one. In the case of an oral piercing, we also recommend getting the aftercare mouthwash to protect your new piercing.
Dimple piercings are surely a wonderful body modification but before you decide, make sure that you are physically and emotionally ready to go through probable complications and negative impacts that go with it. Visit a renowned piercer so as to lessen probable chances of problems if improper dimple piercing has been done.