The method of perforating a skin to add jewelry is called piercing. One of the most common areas where it is done is on the face. Face piercings are done due to different reasons such as to express one’s emotion, belief, and culture, to improve one’s aesthetic value, or even to improve one’s sexual pleasure. Piercings are still controversial up to these days, especially if done by the youth. A lot of negative connotations can be heard, but as long as you are doing it to represent your beliefs in life, you must not let these negativities affect your decision.
If it is your first time to get face piercings, you have to understand that it is something you have to think over and over again. If you are quite sensitive to pain, it is important to prepare your mind and body. Look for a reputable and skilled piercer. It is also an added factor if the piercer has a registered business so if accidents during the procedure happens, especially if it was due to the piercer’s failure to execute precautionary measures, you can file a legal case against the person.
Types of Face Piercings
There are several types of face piercings. It is helpful to know all these so that you can efficiently understand where to have the perforation and the type of jewelry that will look good on it.
Eyebrow Piercing – can be horizontal, vertical or anti-eyebrow, depending on your liking. For horizontal, it is typically placed on the upper ridge. For the vertical, it covers the upper and lower part of your eyebrow. For the anti-eyebrow, it is usually placed on the lower part of your eye.
Ideal jewelry: Curved barbell or captive bead ring
Nose Piercing – the procedure will go through the cartilage, therefore, will require 4 to 6 months before it completely heals.
Ideal jewelry: Loop, stud with L-bar or ball closure
Dimple Piercing – also known as cheek piercing, the perforated skin usually heals after 6 to 12 months. Its procedure will be done from the inside of the cheeks.
Ideal jewelry: Labret stud
Madonna Piercing – imitating Madonna’s beauty mark at the upper side corner of your lips.
Ideal jewelry: Labret stud with ball or gem on the outer end
Monroe Piercing – just like Madonna’s piercing, however, it’s placed on the left part of your upper lip.
Ideal Jewelry – Labret stud with ball or gem on the outer end
Medusa Piercing – placed on the philtrum, the small indentation between the septum and the upper lip.
Ideal Jewelry – Labret stud with ball or gem on the outer end
Labret Piercing – also known as chin piercing, usually found exactly at a person’s mid-lower lip.
Ideal Jewelry – Labret stud
21 Strikingly Beautiful Women with Piercings to Follow on Instagram
1. Only real beauty allowed
2. The copper shimmer is so cool!
3. What an incredible septum piercing!
4. Love those abs! So inspiring!
5. Nose stud, septum piercing, and pink hair go well together.
6. Wearing glasses can look fabulous with snake bite piercing.
7. A stunning vampire look!
8. Simple and sweet
9. Love those eyebrows, so perfect!
Back at it again with the selfies😂 #selfie #stoner #pretty #hairgoals #canadianbabe #inkedbabestv #brows #hair #portrait #sexy #followme #canadian #smile #skate #inked #fishing #mua #makeupartist #cute #piercing #glamour #girlswithpiercings #model #tattoos #beauty #tattoo #fashion #makeup #fitness #healthy
10. Nose piercing and medusa piercing is a great combination!
11. Subtle yet gorgeous.
12. Multiple piercings are something worth a try.
13. A woman with awesome piercing and beautiful hair.
– 💙❄🌌💎💙❄🌌💎💙❄🌌💎💙❄🌌💎 "Some people smoke, Others drink, And others fall in love, Each one dies a different way." 💙❄🌌💎💙❄🌌💎💙❄🌌💎💙❄🌌💎 – Hey FAM 😇💙✨ How's everyone doing? I was to lazy to make my hair today 🙈💕… But #shorthairdontcare too lol 😜💕… Hope your having all a nice afternoon or evening 😇✨… I love you 😘❤✨ 💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗
14. Piercing can make you look mystical.
15. Blue lips with fabulous piercing.
16. What a pretty face!
17. Piercing with tattoos.
I felt inclined to take a cute pic & only now do I see more paint in my hair! Darn this house painting project, lol. 🎨🏠🎨🏠🎨🏠🎨🏠🎨 #selfie #me #septum #septumpiercing #lotusandco #septumclicker #browneyedgirl #tattoos #girlswithink #girlswithpiercings #chesttattoo #paint #girl #fun #lol #goodvibes #instalike #weirddimple
18. Nice dimples.
19. Gorgeous makeup!
Playing with a 💄combo #nightmoth + #naturallytransformed Makeup Deets 💗 Eyes: @maccosmetics #sketch #saddle Inner corner #highlight @citycolorcosmetics #timelessbeautypalette Brows @maccosmetics #deepdarkbrunette @citycolorcosmetics #browkit Face @loraccosmetics #aquaprime @coverfx #naturalfinishfoundation #coverfxn90 Set with @blackopalbeauty #darkpowder #contour #highlight #beautyblogger #beautyvlogger #melanin #dallasmua #mua #makeupartist
20. A magical beauty!
21. This nose piercing is nicely done.
Preparation and Aftercare of Face Piercings
Pain varies depending on a person’s threshold. However, there are several things that you need to do in order for you to be well-prepared and will lessen the pain and the blood that may come out in the area that you want to be perforated. Here are the things that you need to remember:
- Get ample sleep and eat nutritious foods. You need ample energy during the procedure.
- Don’t drink heavily during the procedure. It will thin your blood.
- Do not have the procedure if you are not feeling well as it may aggravate your condition, and the healing process will lengthen as your body has no ample capability to heal itself.
- Do not wear makeup if you are a woman since the area that will be perforated must be clean.
- Shave beforehand.
- Caffeine and energy drinks will also thin your blood so avoid consuming these drinks 24 hours before the procedure.
- If you have some health conditions, make sure you visit your doctor first to get a clearance.
Of course, you have to make sure that you follow aftercare procedures in order for the skin to recuperate faster. Typically, your piercer will teach you how to take good care of it. But just to make sure you remember everything, here are some of the things you need to know:
- Gentle cleaning must be done using saline solution (sea salt water soak) at least twice a day after you have taken a bath.
- Many piercers believe that cleaning must be limited at least three times a day simply because getting it wet will aggravate the condition as you are making it more susceptible to infection.
- Wash your hands using antibacterial soap before holding/cleaning the perforated area.
- Visit a doctor right away if your piercing has a discharge. Most cases can be cleaned and cured using an antibacterial cream.
Remember, it is important to take good care of your piercing as infections may damage the area that has been perforated, leaving a permanent marking on your face. If you are having second thoughts, speak to someone who has been getting face piercings so you will understand why it is something fun to have.
Hello! My name is Emily and I obsessed with piercings (and tattoos) since I was a little girl of 6 years old. I was fortunate enough to make my passion my work after meeting my amazing husband Jeffrey who owned his own tattoo shop. I just recently finished my internships at some of America’s most famous piercing shops and a dream to start something together was born. After falling in love with each other (and each other’s piercings and tattoos) we decided to expand his tattoo shop and I got to manage my own piercing shop in the same space! I’ve never been so happy being able to share my love for piercings through my shop and this blog I started back in 2013. We love to share models and inspiration, so feel free to email me your suggestions, pictures or if you just want to say hi!